4 Types of Blog Posts That Generate Natural Backlinks

Generating backlinks is hard. Find out how you can make it easier with these types of blog posts that are proven to generate natural backlinks.

Published On 25/02/2021
Updated On 16/05/2021

Category: Link Building
Read Time: 4 Minutes

Backlinks are links back to your website from other sites on the web. Google Search uses backlinks in their ranking algorithm, so they should be a part of your SEO strategy. The more high quality, topically relevant backlinks you have, the more chance you have of ranking highly in the search results.

Publishing regular blog posts can help you to generate natural backlinks, but not all blog posts are created equal. According to backlinko.com, a staggering 94% of all blog posts have no backlinks, so your blog posts need to be top notch to get into that remaining 6%.

Luckily, blog posts are the most linked type of content on the web, so don’t give up hope yet! By the end of this post you’ll have learned how to create blog posts that get backlinks naturally.

There’s no golden rule for creating content that gets backlinks. That said, certain types of content are more likely to get backlinks. This post breaks down the types of blog posts that are proven to get the most backlinks.

The types of blog posts that get the most backlinks are:

1) Statistics

Compiling research statistics into a blog post can be a great way to get backlinks. Your own, unique research would be the most shareable, but we don’t all have the resources to do this.

Alternatively, you could compile a huge list of statistics from other sources. All statistics need citing, and that citation could be your ticket to a high quality, contextually relevant backlink. 

Ahrefs created a list of SEO statistics that generated a bunch of great, high quality backlinks. They now rank in position 1 on Google for “SEO stats”.

2) Data Visualisations

Why not turn your statistics into visuals? Using data visualisations, such as infographics, in your blog posts adds an alternative medium to the mix and is a great way to attract attention.

This shareable format is best for gaining social media exposure, but it can also work for link building. For example, other sites might pick up your infographic and share it in a compilation. Or, they might use your visualisation to prove a point they’re making in an article.

Make your data visualisations easier to share by using an Embed Code Generator. This make it easier for others to embed your visualisation and you get a followed backlink in the process. Win-win!

You can easily create an infographic from your data using Canva. It’s free to use and have a number of templates that can help you create a powerful infographic in minutes. 

3) Ultimate Guides

Ultimate guides can generate huge amounts of backlinks. Their purpose is to cover specific topics in detail. You need to set aside a huge amount of time to complete them, but the rewards are worth the effort. For example, the backlinko.com definitive guide to link building has over 7,500 backlinks from once piece of content.

Google’s passage ranking algorithm has now rolled out. This means that the most detailed pages, like ultimate guides, will be rewarded in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). The increased visibility will, in turn, increase your chances of getting those all important backlinks.

In 2021, ultimate guides should become the ultimate goal.

Check out the Ultimate Guide To Advertising on Ecosia.

4) Lists

Why not turn your ultimate guide into an ultimate list? There are a number of reasons people love lists. It’s built into our psychology. Creating blog posts that contain lists is a sure fire way to get your readers interested in your content and keep them engaged.

Here are a few types of lists you could create:

  • Create a list of experts in your niche, such as “SEO experts you should be following“.
  • Compile a list of resources on a particular topic, such as “The top 10 best SEO tools“.

BONUS: Let the experts or tool creators know that they’ve made it into your list. The chances are they will link to your article, or give you a shout out on social media at the very least.

Check out this list of search partner URLs for Microsoft Advertising.

Content Is (Still) King

In 1996, Bill Gates wrote an article titled “content is king“. In the article the Microsoft CEO spoke of content being where money is earned on the internet. Today, his predictions have come to fruition and the phrase is now synonymous with internet marketing strategy and SEO.

As a king reigns over his people, content reigns supreme on the internet. If you’re looking to build backlinks, you should definitely consider creating winning content first. Try to create content regularly, whilst making sure that you’re focusing on quality. If you’ve got great content, it will gain great backlinks, naturally.