How To Set Up Ecosia Ads
Setting up ads on Ecosia is fairly straightforward. If you’ve set up before Google Ads before, then you’ll have your Ecosia Ads set up in no time.
Here’s a brief overview of the steps required to set up Ecosia Ads:
- Sign up for Microsoft Advertising
- Import or create ad campaigns
- Configure ad distribution for Ecosia
- Find and exclude websites
Step 1) Sign Up For Microsoft Advertising
You’re probably thinking, “wasn’t this guide about Ecosia?”. Well, Ecosia is a part of the Microsoft & Yahoo syndicated search partner network, which means you’ll need to sign up for Microsoft Advertising to get started.
Campaign management is controlled through Microsoft Advertising, so if you haven’t used it before, take a bit of time to get acquainted before moving on. If you’d like support then be sure to check out Microsoft’s guide to help you get started, or speak to one of their advertising specialists.
Step 2) Import Or Create Your Ad Campaigns
If you’d like to import your campaigns from Google Ads then read on. Alternatively, if you’d like to start from scratch then skip to the next section.
Import Google Ads Data Into Microsoft Advertising
You can easily import your Google Ads campaigns into Microsoft Advertising by following these steps:
- Select the Import button on the top menu of the Microsoft Advertising dashboard and click ‘Import from Google Ads’ from the drop down
- Click the blue Sign in to Google button and sign in to your Google Ads account
- Select the account you want to import from and click the blue Continue button
- Select your import options and click the blue Continue button
- Click Import
Create New Ad Campaigns
You can create new campaigns if you don’t have an active Google Ads account, or if you’d like to start from scratch. To create new ad campaigns, make sure you’re on the campaigns tab and follow these steps:
- Click the Create campaign button
- Choose goal of your campaign
- Enter a campaign name, budget and audience demographic information, then click the Save & go to the next step button
- Enter the URL of your website, an ad group name and enter the keywords you want to use within that ad group. When you’ve finished creating an ad group, click the Save & go to the next step button
- Create an ad by clicking on the Create ad button, then save it and click the Save & go to the next step button
- Edit your campaign budget and bids, then click Save
Your first campaign, ad group and ad should now be set up. The next step is to configure where you want your ads to be distributed.
Step 3) Configure Ad Distribution For Ecosia
By default your ads will be shown on all search networks. This includes Bing, AOL, Yahoo and syndicated search partners. Ecosia is one of these syndicated search partners, but your ads will continue to show across all search networks until you change your ad distribution settings.
You can change your ad distribution settings at the ad group level. To do this, make sure you’re on the ad groups tab and follow the steps below:
- Click on the name of the ad group you want to change
- Click the Settings tab and find Ad distribution under Other settings
- Under Ad distribution select Bing, AOL and Yahoo syndicated search partners only
Next you’ll need to exclude certain websites from showing your ads. The only way to do this is to determine which websites your ads are being shown on. To do this you’ll need to leave your ads running for a while to see where they’re picking up impressions. Read on to find out how you can find these websites and exclude them from showing your ads.
Step 4) Find & Exclude Websites
Duplicate your ad group settings tab and click ‘Reports’ on the top navigation. Select ‘Dimensions’ >> ‘Basic’ >> ‘Publisher Website’.
This will give you a table full of websites that are showing your ads. You should be able to see Ecosia amongst these, but you’ll need to exclude the rest. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Click the Download button at the top right of the table and download a .CSV of the table
- Open up the .CSV file you’ve just downloaded and copy all the website URLs in column A
- Go back to the original ad group settings tab in your browser and find Exclusions below the time zone settings.
- Click in the box below ‘Enter websites to exclude from showing your ads, one website per line’ and paste all the websites from the .CSV file. Make sure to remove ecosia.org from the list
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save button
It’s also possible to exclude websites at the account or campaign level.
- Exclude at the campaign level – Follow the same steps as above, but add the publisher websites to the exclusion box in campaign settings, rather than ad group settings.
- Exclude at the account level – Make sure you’re in your manager account, then click Tools on the top navigation. Select Create website exclusion list and add the websites you want to exclude in the website exclusions box.
Ecosia Advertising FAQs
Microsoft Advertising support have told me that they don’t have a full list of publisher website URLs. With that in mind, I’ve made an effort to list Bing search partner publisher websites in this post. I will keep updating the list as more partners roll in to the publisher website report.
Yes. Ecosia is not a virus, spam or malware, despite allegations. Its business practices are legit too. The company publish their financial reports online so you know exactly where your money is going.
No. Their advertising revenue is generated by ad clicks, with an average of €0.50 being made per click. However, by simply using Ecosia you’re helping to grow a market that’s ripe for the picking. More advertisers means more competition. More competition means higher costs per click. Higher costs per click means more advertising revenue to plant trees.
It can take a few hours for Ecosia to start showing your ads. If you still can’t see your ads after a couple of hours, then there may be a problem. To get your ads showing try the troubleshooting steps outlined by Microsoft Advertising.
Your ads should now start showing on Ecosia. If you have any problems or further questions then please contact me and I’ll be happy to help. If you’d like help with advertising on another platform then take a look at the PPC services I provide.